Tuesday, May 02, 2006

My Daily Life @ ISB - AS OF NOW!!

By mentioning this as the name of my blog, I hope I am not building any notions here.. :) This is going to be a pure "personal" perspective for the initial days of our core terms. Now when I say perspective, one thing definitely rings in my mind... seems this is one of the most important words you will hear when you are doing an MBA. It all depends on a perspective that you hold for any business case that was cracked years back!!.. :) Now before I start discussing one here, I would rather pen down my experience of the core terms till now.

With the kinda hype created by people around that its gruelling and you undergo a trauma through this one year, one had to give it a thought. But now with some experience behind my back, I feel its all about how you manage to handle the pressure. Its about being smart, its about being concise in your approach. When the faculty mentions that you need to preread stuff before the class and lists a whole of chapters and references, everyone ends up assuming that its a must to "mag" all the stuff and plunges deep into it for rest of the day. But if you are smart enough, you would definitely realize that its about making yourself aware of the concepts and not about the statements verbatim.. :) Now let me put down my daily schedule (as of now) by the hour.

7:00AM - My alarm goes off and I look around for the snooze button... and snooze it.
7:10AM - Snooze again.
7:20AM - Drag myself out of my bed, trying it to make it as involuntary as possible.. :)
8:00AM - Walk down from my Quad to the Acad centre, which does something to me which a bath was not able to... WAKING ME UP!!
8:15AM - Start with a heavy breakfast... which is something out of my control. By the end of it, I feel I pity myself, as it might result in me going to sleep in the class.. :) Thats when a big cup of coffee does the trick.
8:45AM - The battle starts!!
10:45AM - First battle successfully ends!!
10:45AM-11:15AM - Chill out. Go for a smoke or may be another coffee or a small snack!!
11:15AM - Second battle starts!!
1:15PM - This one, most of time, ends somewhat unsuccessfully!!.. :) Run for the dining hall, you have exhausted most of your breakfast, using your brains over the past few hours.. :) Ok I know that the brain is no where physically related to your stomach, but mann its not my fault that its works that way for me.. :)
2:00PM - Go back to my quad. Log on to the network, figure out whats in store for tomorrow. Get complacent that it would be easy and that I do deserve some sleep.. :)
2:30PM - 5:00PM - DEEP SLUMBER!!!.. :)
5:00PM - 7:30PM - Run through one of the pre reads for the next day. Feel happy as if I have achieved something great, beyond anyone's comprehension.. :)
7:30PM - 8:30PM - Flaunt your body around in the gym.. ;)
8:30PM - 9:30PM - Dinner!! SLURP!!.. :)
9:30PM - Quad again!! Figure out that you still have loads to study.. problems to solve.. bang your head against it for a couple of hours...
11:30PM - You get a call from your friend asking if I want to join for a BEER!!.. Ummm.. Ok... one bottle wont matter much.. I run for it..
12:30AM - I get back.. and with a feeling (after the discussion that normally happens only over a bottle of beer) that I can crack the prereads... and voila!! By 1:30-2:00 I am done with all thats needed for the next day.
1:30AM - Get into the bed with a book of my choice.. now now dont get any ideas.. I was talking about fiction books like the one I am reading as of now.. The Fountainhead.. :)
2:00AM - My system switches off!!

Next day morning, the same story is repeated. This has been happening for last 3 days.. but from what I can forebode, its going to get tougher with group assignments and exams and quizzes flowing into the schedule. Also with all the battles mentioned earlier in my schedule, I need to mention some comments about our faculty. It is definitely world class, with these folks having a whole lot to offer, each one of them definitely holds an immense baggage of knowledge. Its upto you on how you manage to extract the most out of them.

All said and done, jokes apart, I feel this one year at ISB is going to be purely your take on time management skills you possess. Its how you get that special talent out.. :) I am in no mood to write another blog on my schedule here... so I hope I am able to keep up with the above schedule even when all those future action items come into place... ;) Just kidding.. as usual!!.. :) wait for the next one.. about my first weekend after core terms started!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home